EMAIL • 901.759.2322

Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Rash Under The Ring



No, you’re not allergic to marriage. That rash under your wedding band — or any ring — is simply your skin’s reaction to an irritant. It happens when you wear a ring all the time, such as a wedding band.

There are two common reasons for ring rash:
  1. Some people develop an allergic reaction to the nickel in the band. Even if your band is made of gold, almost all rings have a small amount of metal alloys, like nickel, to help them maintain their sturdy structure during normal wear.
  2. Your skin could be irritated from washing your hands without taking your ring off. Soap particles can get trapped between the band and your skin, causing irritation. This is often called “detergent burn.” Additionally, harsh soaps can strip the natural oils from your skin, leaving it raw and irritated. This can be compounded by dry skin in colder months when there isn’t as much moisture in the air. Those with a history of sensitive skin, eczema, allergies or atopic dermatitis are more prone to this reaction.

Luckily, you can take some measures to help combat this skin irritation:
  • If you don’t feel like removing your ring every time you wash your hands, you can invest in a lotion that contains ceramides, which are lubricants that moisturize and protect the skin. If you apply the lotion to your hands after washing, it can help alleviate detergent burn.
  • If you are concerned that you are allergic to nickel, painting the inside of your ring with clear nail polish can create a protective barrier between the band and your skin. But don’t worry, the polish won’t damage your precious metal!

If these remedies don’t work at home, we encourage you to seek out a doctor’s opinion. For more information about ADSCA and our services, click here to visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment