Men and women with dark skin often struggle with hyperpigmentation and discoloration. Whether it’s caused by injuries, sun damage or past acne, this issue plagues a wide range of skin types. However, ethnic skin is typically more susceptible to darkening because it contains more melanin. But don’t fret. We have some foolproof ways to protect your skin’s gorgeous dark tone.
Adhere to a simple and safe skin care routine.
- Cleanse your face one to three times a day, depending on its dryness.
- Use GENTLE cleansers and avoid any abrasive washes, and especially cleansing puffs or loofahs
- Try to refrain from moisturizers unless your face feels dry without them.
Pick the best products for your unique skin type.
- There is no need to buy fancy, overpriced products – drugstore brands are fine.
- If your skin is dry, look for products recommended for sensitive skin and make sure to avoid anything with benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid, as these harsh chemicals can further dry out your skin.
Mind your medications.
- Many commonly prescribed drugs increase your sensitivity to the sun, making it especially important that you apply extra sunscreen or sometimes avoid the sun completely.
- Some of the most common drugs that create sun sensitivity are birth control pills, antibiotics, acne medication and cancer drugs.
- There are many more, however, so be sure to ask your doctor if any of your medications are on this list so you can know how to properly protect your skin.
Don’t linger when your skin is in distress.
- The quicker you address a problem with your skin, the quicker it will go away AND the less likely it is to become an ongoing issue.
- Taking a trip to your dermatologist will not only save your skin, but could also save you money by preventing you from having to buy tons of products to help your condition later down the road.
Contact a specialist for prescription therapies or cosmetic surgery.
- If you need skin care beyond what you can do yourself, seek professional treatments, both low- and high-tech.
- Some common treatments for dark skinned patients are acne medication, facial peels, microdermabrasion and laser treatment, among others.
Tip: be sure to ask around for an expert in treating dark skin. For more complex skin treatments, make sure you are in experienced hands and will receive the best treatment to rejuvenate your skin.